Sunday, January 6, 2013

MARTY BEERS MESHBERG



 

Martha (Beers) Meshberg


My artistic expression is motivated by my deep love of nature and it's infinite beauty. As well, my devotion to the writings of The Báb, Bahá 'u' lláh, 'Abdu'l-Bahá and the many Holy Texts of the world, inspire and deepen my work.

I am a singer, painter, poet and musician.

 
In my earlier years, (1958-1972 ) I performed professionally with The "Beers Family " Traditional Singers and am now the last surviving member of the Beers Family.

I was a partner in the/Husband/Wife team (Eric and Martha Nagler from the 1970's -'77 and performed solo through the mid 1980s. I have traveled world wide on Cultural Exchange Tours, Concert Stage, Television & Radio and at Music Festivals, Schools and Universities throughout the United States, Canada, India, South America and the Caribbean Islands.

Personal Highlights: CarnegieHall, Lincoln Centre, The White House
I have recorded with Columbia Masterworks, Folk Legacy, Biograph, Philo, and Fox Hollow Productions.

Though I no longer perform, The music and many memories of the rich rewards of travel through-out the world among many cultures, is one of the motivating factors of my art and poetry. I am currently preparing a volume of poetry for publication.
 
Editor's Note: Marty currently resides in Toronto, Ontario with her husband.

5 comments:

  1. very nice! I like the phrase, "I'll be your flawed but undying friend".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a lifelong friend of Joan Morgan. Your father taught her to play the psaltery. I thought you would enjoy this blog that I did in her memory: joanelizabethmorgan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha - I drove by your old house on Big Bend sometime last year and it was apparent that someone had bought it and was about to tear it down. It has now been replaced by bricks and mortar it's dark stained clapboard presence gone. I have driven by it virtually daily for the last50+ years. I always wondered what became of you. And now thru the wonders of the internet I have found out. What little I have gleaned sounds like you have had quite a life. I never REALLY got to know you but had a couple classes with you at Nipher (did you go to Robinson??)You were always the pretty white blonde girl that seemed to mysteriously disappear from time to time but the rumor was you were in a family singing group out of town. Turns out - the rumor was true. I wish I had spoken up and gotten to know you. Pete Nardie (Kirkwood, MO)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, hello there Pete! What a blast from the past! I often have dreams of that old house on Big Bend Rd. Sorry to hear that it is no longer there. It was quite a large yard (over an acre) at the back of the property which backed on to the railway tracks. I used to follow the tracks to get to school "Nipher". I believe I did 8th and 9th grade there. Then, I entered Kirkwood High and completed 10th and 11th grade there. When my family became more active in concertizing, we moved to New YorK state and I finished my schooling there. I always felt so unsure of myself in school and found it difficult to make friends. I know I was a bit of a mystery. I hardly ever spoke to anyone about my musical life.I hardly ever smiled or laughed. No wonder the other kids rarely talked to me. I was so remote! I am sorry that you didn't befriend me then! I see no reason why we can't get to know each other now tho! I have a face Book page : Marty Beers Meshberg. Request to friend. There is also a Beers Family Page which is run by some of my friends which remembers The Fox Hollow Folk Festival which we ran for 15 yrs.on our New York property of 180 acres. What a wonderful memories. Looking forward to hearing from you again,
    Marty Meshberg

    ReplyDelete